Directions for Roasted Capon
- Thaw in the refrigerator for 1-1½ days or in cool water for 4-6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove leg binding to open body cavity. Remove neck and giblet package from body cavity, cook for stuffing or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Rinse and drain capon.
- Salt if desired.
- Place capon, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan.
- Cover roaster and place in pre-heated oven.
- Allow approximately 25 minutes per pound cooking time for an unstuffed capon*.
- Uncover capon for the last 45 minutes of cooking time to brown, or until desired color and meat thermometer registers 180-185°F. Legs should move easily in their sockets.
- Allow to cool slightly before carving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
*Dark cookware may shorten cooking time.